youtube and the risk involved with the show.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Most of us have seen the various youtube videos posted over the past couple of years that show burnouts-gone-bad. During the last show a corvette spun and hopped the curb onto the grass near the spectator area….Needless to say, video was rolling and it has been seen by many of us, including the plano police department.

Plano police is not happy.

They called a meeting with the staff at Classic yesterday and explained that changes were necessary in order to keep the show from becoming a problem. Burnouts must end.

The police have been great to work with and very helpful. They explained to us that they enjoy the event and want it to be fun for everyone, but it must be safe. We will be taking action to make certain that burnouts are eliminated. we have put up barriers, advertised the anti-burnout message by way of tee-shirts, buttons and even put up a banner that said don’t be the next one on youtube. We have also spoken to most everyone as they have left thanking them for being part of the show and asking them to observe the “no burnout policy.” We will need to do even more to reduce the desire to burn out.

One comment that the police made was if dangerous behavior continues, expect citations to be written for “whatever they can find.”

PS…..the corvette driver has been identified by police.

eric

scodemike

So does that mean accelerating quickly is off the table too? By that I mean pulling onto the service road, straightening up, then punching it to 45 mph and letting off. Because to me, a burnout is squeeling/smoking tires and as long as we don’t do that, we should be good right?

Anonymous
    Inactive

About time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@William48 68645 wrote:

So does that mean accelerating quickly is off the table too? By that I mean pulling onto the service road, straightening up, then punching it to 45 mph and letting off. Because to me, a burnout is squeeling/smoking tires and as long as we don’t do that, we should be good right?

Why can’t you just be a good little boy and drive like an adult? We all know what a fast car can do. We don’t need to see it in a public location. Your actions may ruin it for everyone else.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Z06-LITE 68658 wrote:

Your actions may ruin it for everyone else.

Yeah…straightening up, punching it a bit, and letting off can totally hurt somebody, right?

If anything, burnouts were the issue that was about to ruin it for everyone else. That’s why the Plano PD stepped in. Not because of quick acceleration.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I live in Florida and don’t have a dog in this fight…..My thoughts are if you give a show off a short length of rope, he will find enough to hang himself and maybe ruin it for everyone else. Just my opinion, really not my problem…..

BRABUS_E500
    Participant

Two big strikes the show has is that it exits to a Tollway and people line up like they are at street race to watch the cars leave.

Maybe people shouldn’t line up along the sidewalk area anymore to watch the cars leave. If there is no audience, then there is no need for a show off to show off.

My opinion, not trying to take anything away from the show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree that there should be no burnouts. As we’ve all heard before, wallet size and skill don’t go hand in hand. Now, I do think hard acceleration with zero wheel spin should be acceptable. How many of us get to hear in person a Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari 458, or some old school hot rod give it some gas? It leaves an impression on the younger people too and it would be a shame if we couldn’t hear what these wonderful machines sound like.

bernhard
    Participant

@ericmaas 68637 wrote:

One comment that the police made was if dangerous behavior continues, expect citations to be written for “whatever they can find.”

I was kind of under the impression that this has been the policy all along. The last time I came was a year ago because I got a speeding ticket and no license plate ticket as I exited to the toll road. Didn’t burn out. No cars next to me. Just cruising down a service road on a saturday morning with very light traffic. I took a hiatus from the event specifically because of the police.

On previous visits I have seen police officers in marked cars drive through the parking lot checking plates and inspection stickers.

To be honest, the police presence at this event REALLY deter me from attending. I’m sure “they enjoy the event” because they probably make as much money off of the event as some of their intersection cameras they seem to be so proud of.

Reprimanding someone who looses control of their vehicle is a no brainer. But you do not need to hide behind bushes to do this. Having a visible presence at exit DETERS people from doing crazy stuff. You hide because you WANT people to do stuff. One is more safe and one is more profitable.

EDIT: I watched the video of the Vette from June 2012. That definently was a problem. Just stopping in the middle of the road was stupid enough. But there were also several cars behind him. That guy was an idiot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@06exige 70756 wrote:

I was kind of under the impression that this has been the policy all along. The last time I came was a year ago because I got a speeding ticket and no license plate ticket as I exited to the toll road. Didn’t burn out. No cars next to me. Just cruising down a service road on a saturday morning with very light traffic. I took a hiatus from the event specifically because of the police.

On previous visits I have seen police officers in marked cars drive through the parking lot checking plates and inspection stickers.

To be honest, the police presence at this event REALLY deter me from attending. I’m sure “they enjoy the event” because they probably make as much money off of the event as some of their intersection cameras they seem to be so proud of.

Have to agree with this. They seem to write tickets for ANYTHING they can find. Take this for example, from the May 2011 event.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3_gEvnlZc

A couple minutes after I started doing my usual filming, this chap started setting up his “camera” a couple yards behind me. I just figured he was new and didnt know about the good filming spots. Once he set up he got on his phone and stayed on his phone, a really dumb choice to make for a videographer if they dont want their voice heard on their video. After about 30 minutes of him standing there and “filming” another chap quietly mentioned to me that the man was actually calling the police and telling them which cars to go and pull over. I notified the Cars and Coffee staff of what was going on and they gave warnings to everyone who was leaving. This killed the show and I eventually ended up leaving with hardly any decent footage at all.

If this was orchestrated by the Plano Police Department, its a very very poor move for them to make. They get enough people with their usual 3-4 cops that rely on radar and fear to get stupid drivers. To have someone call out every single car that violated a law is a waste of time and money. From what I saw, there were at least 9-10 individual police officers used today to catch the drivers. Cars and Coffee is not the dangerous social event that some people think it is. Its the drivers who stunt in their cars by doing burnouts. The people who romp on it a little bit for 10 yards should hardly be the worry of a Police Department.

I’ve seen lots of the “typical” things, but I remember this one clearly, as I had a front row seat. In March of 2011, a guy in his Murcielago SV had left the show, and I’d say he put his foot down just enough for the crowd to hear the Larini exhaust system at mid-RPMs. A few seconds later, I hear a guy behind me say “Did he get him? Yeah he did!”. I look over, and see an unmarked Crown Vic go after him.:thumbdown:

Zs V

I go to the Cars and Coffee here in Irvine, California and there have been plenty of warnings in the past about people doing burnouts before, and now they are very much NOT allowed. Fast acceleration is fine, as long as you don’t go over the speed limit/it’s within reason and control. The people standing on the sidewalk (me included) are always very disappointed when a car that can make a great noise doesn’t accelerate fast, especially since I take a lot of video and those videos can get boring when the cars aren’t accelerating and/or there’s no engine soundtrack. Some people have even done some fast starts from a stand still with a bit of tire squeal right in front of the police there and they’re fine with it, just as long as it doesn’t endanger anyone (which it never has) and no burnouts. People accelerate fast in short bursts ALL the time in normal, every day driving, so I don’t see why there would be a problem with that unless the police there are complete buttholes

RedDesmo

I didn’t make it to the October meet, were there any burnout/peelout issues this time? I agree with most that quick acceleration should not be a problem…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Dallas’ is closed to new topics and replies.