Why is the place so dead?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok I have been looking around her for a few weeks and the are no interesting pictures, let me correct my self, NO PICTURES to speak of. When Max was here I could count on seeing fresh photos each week, interesting debates and definitely more post.

Whoever runs this website has had a epic failure to make it interesting banning people and locking interesting threads to what seems to be done at the own whim.

Then there is the VIP thing, why would I pay money to access a private part of the site when the front end is so dead. People are impressed before they are won over.

I don’t see anything that’s really worth saying hey that site is worth going to. Its like going to “My first website.” not very exciting and parasitically depending on others to post pictures instead of hosting there own.

I hope this gets your attention or at least makes you think Mr. moderator because you have the making of a dead site

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think this happened when the organizers put a restriction on cars allowed, although I’m sure they’d take anybody now. It seems to be the same people going over and over.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went last Saturday and there were some nice cars in the lot but if you never went to C&C you would never know it and there are no pictures here to see. this place is not like it used to be.

I don’t know why the banned Max, he seemed like the only one that really cared about C&C being “Pure” in its’ intent to show cars that you don’t see everyday.

If I want to see a new M3 I could go to Crevier BMW for that, C&C is about uniqueness and I don’t get so see that here.

Somebody Please post some pics!:(

Anonymous

Maybe just a sign of the times. I think the whole world is in a funk.

Anonymous

Definately because of the restrictions and basically the organizers telling “us” that we aren’t welcome anymore unless our car is unique/rare and older than 1974 or whatever the cut off year was. Having a unique/rare car is understandable but having a cut off year is just ridiculous and narrow minded. I’ve always wanted to show up to one of these but could never make it due to the early start time. Then I heard about the restrictions or whatever and that really turned me off.

pladmin
    Keymaster

I have a feeling Max might post a reply to this thread….. let’s wait and see. This could get interesting. 🙂

Anonymous

@BMF 27992 wrote:

I have a feeling Max might post a reply to this thread….. let’s wait and see. This could get interesting. 🙂

/me yawns and wakes up from a deep slumber.

The reason that this is dead is pretty simple.

I got banned.

The reason that I got banned is also simple, I stood up for what I believed in and my view was fairly different to that of an ex-admin here.

I still passionately believe that Cars and Coffee in Irvine should be self policing and that the guidelines of ‘Interesting and/or Unusual’ are dirt easy to adhere to.

I still think that if you need to be a complete {insert make of car here} nerd to understand why your car is special while to everyone else that cannot spot the electric folding mirrors it looks like a daily driver, then maybe you are slightly delusional and perhaps your should show it elsewhere.

I strongly, firmly, believe that Cars and Coffee Irvine is a very special event that is way beyond the showing of daily drivers, unless you happen to daily drive your Maserati or Noble or F40…..

So that is it.

The reason it is dead here is because I have no posted any photos in a long time.

The previous images were subject to a mod-re-write rule that I could manage at a whim to do whatever I wanted with – tubgirl maybe ?

So all of my previous posts were pulled.

I will start to back-fill a few of the weekly posts over the next few days.

For now, Brent and I have kissed and made up (he needs a shave BTW) and all is well in the world, lets see if there is an increase in the traffic here ?

pladmin
    Keymaster

Glad to have you back Max! thumbup

Anonymous

I used to enjoy posting here, too. But it just seems that no one’s coming here. Which is rather sad… given how nice the C&C concept is. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of traffic, here, or so it seems. My pictures get more views on other automotive sites.

It would be nice to see this grow. Oh well.

Anonymous

@Reelizmpro 27957 wrote:

Definately because of the restrictions and basically the organizers telling “us” that we aren’t welcome anymore unless our car is unique/rare and older than 1974 or whatever the cut off year was. Having a unique/rare car is understandable but having a cut off year is just ridiculous and narrow minded. I’ve always wanted to show up to one of these but could never make it due to the early start time. Then I heard about the restrictions or whatever and that really turned me off.

At the risk of……..

ah, whatever……….

The issue is/was/will be again……..

That many people bring cars that, given the ‘company’, are not really that show worthy.

Cars and Coffee is, and has always been, about special, interesting, hopefully close-to-unique cars. That is what makes it such a special event.

The mandate from Freeman and John was an effort to improve the quality of the event at the expense of quantity. The mandate is effectively:

‘Special, interesting and/or unusual vehicles only please’.

There is no cut-off year. None at all – special and interesting covers any year. There was talk of a pre 1978 cut-off, but this is not the case. Checkout the photographs from the last few months in this forum.

In general you will not be turned away if you show up in your Honda Integra, or your 2005 Chrysler 300, but you may be directed the side lot.

Or maybe your car will be ignored by the attendees – I am not sure which is more embarrassing.

Personally I do not get out of bed at 6AM on a Saturday to go and see a bunch of daily drivers, I go to see stuff that I generally do not see on the freeways of SoCal, the rare and the unusual parked next to the downright unattainable.

If you have a car like that – bring it, show it.

But if you want to show your daily driver, I would respectfully suggest that you do what the rest of us do with our daily drivers, park it in the public lot and walk the extra 100yds, hoping that the space you saved will be filled with something crazy.

That was and currently is, my personal opinion and my own personal interpretation of the mandate issued by Freeman and John.

I am not about to judge here and now what is and is not show worthy – I do that anyway by selecting to photograph only cars that interest me, sometimes I miss something amazing, other times I find a bland box interesting, it is all a little random for me….

Anonymous

Since restrictions were put in place, I personally lost interest in attending. Just about everyone I know who loves cars feels similarly. We haven’t totally given up on Irvine C&C, just got turned-off to the response to the January 31 turnout.

Everyone has their opinion and some will stand by a preference for admittance rules. Seems most I know do not favor enforcing rules and have simply voted with their feet, or wheels more precisely.

PS. The economy has nothing to do with it and should, in fact, work to make a free event like this more popular IMO.

Anonymous

@YellowHaze 29258 wrote:

Since restrictions were put in place, I personally lost interest in attending. Just about everyone I know who loves cars feels similarly. We haven’t totally given up on Irvine C&C, just got turned-off to the response to the January 31 turnout.

Ahh yes, Jan 31st, the day when the public lot was way more interesting than the general lot.

http://cncpics.com/v/200901/090131/

The NSX’s were ‘ok’,but the fighting over getting into the Coral vs the ‘in front of the Mazda building’ was a tad, erm, silly. While it was interesting to see them, I will admit that they are not high on my ‘must see / photograph’ list and I only caught a small number of them on ‘film’.

The S2000’s wrecked that morning – the arrogance, the bird flipping, the abuse that the folks directing traffic took was completely uncalled for.

The public lot was actually very cool that day – we spotted numerous priceless cars there, shame that the spectators did not walk the lots like us.

Quote:
    Everyone has their opinion and some will stand by a preference for admittance rules. Seems most I know do not favor enforcing rules and have simply voted with their feet, or wheels more precisely.

There are no strict rules. There are guidelines. ‘Special, Interesting, Unusual’.

That is it – People have been asked to park in the side lot, but I am not sure that anyone has been turned away.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Irvine Pictures and Video’ is closed to new topics and replies.