What about sleepers?

• This topic has 22 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

With the new “rules” in effect at CnC, I see that cars deemed not “interesting” are being turned away by the staff at the gate. But what about “sleeper” cars? In my opinion, some of the coolest cars out there are fairly mundane looking on the outside, but packing heat under the skin. The thing about these cars is that you may not give them a second glance until the hood is popped, and I’m wondering if the CnC staff will know what they’re looking at if one drives in.

Of course I’m biased, since I own a car that falls into this category. Without revealing too much (since I’m pretty sure some people I know lurk here), I have a mid 80s American sedan that was common when new, but is now a rare sight on the road (especially since it’s a rare factory performance model – one of just over 3000 built). It’s in mostly unrestored very good original condition with the exception of new paint and upholstery, and is likely the cleanest example of this model you’ll ever see. But under the hood I have swapped the original engine for a later model V8 with lots of mods (over double the factory horsepower), swapped the auto for a manual, and significantly updated the suspension and brakes (I occasionally take it to track days). The only visual clue on the outside is the 17″ OEM wheels, required to clear the brakes.

My car has been featured in Hot Rod Magazine and Hemmings, and also in a “Restomod” book. I have taken my car to CnC twice before, the first time being the day my car’s brand was the featured marque, and I was directed to park up front in the “special” section. And the last time I took my car there, a spectator yelled out that my car was his favorite while I was driving out.

So is my car worthy? I realize my car appeals more to the hot rod crowd than the exotic crowd since it doesn’t have much sex appeal, and a spectator who drools over a new Ferrari probably wouldn’t “get” my car (no offense to present company!). But I’d like to know if I should bother taking my car since several people from a car blog I am part of are planning on having a meet at CnC next week and a couple of us have cars we’d like to show.

If I’m barking up the wrong tree by posting here, I’d appreciate if you could direct me to whoever can answer my question. Thanks!

Anonymous

Hyperform, (good name by the way!)
    I had some time on my hands today so I helped at the gate. The main lot filled to capacity as did the small lot on the left. There were plenty of low riders today, old and new. No one was turned away from either area. We kindly asked newcomer spectators if they would please park in the designated parking area behind the main building if they were not “showing”. As the main lot filled we offered a choice explaining that the main lot was full and there were a few slots on the left lot, so you can take your chances in the main lot or for sure get a spot on the left lot. Everyone was comfortable with that.

I would not worry, your car sounds way cool and there is no set rule. Just remember that if you plan to caravan in a group let the organizers know before you go! You might also find a day when the big lot across the street is open to the public and do your thing there. (Today there was a motorcycle school there so it was not available to C&C.

Garry

Anonymous
    Inactive

I turned up about 7:10 to find the main lot full and parked in the side lot. Walking around, what amazed me was the amount of “ordinary” cars in the main lot; Mustang’s, BMW’s, cars with for sale signs and other assorted junk such as a Dodge Neon. So much for the pre 78 and special cars only, clearly no one is enforcing this rule. The whole fuss from a few weeks back is over and it’s business as usual …..

{sigh}

Anonymous
    s4s;16746 wrote:
    I turned up about 7:10 to find the main lot full and parked in the side lot. Walking around, what amazed me was the amount of “ordinary” cars in the main lot; Mustang’s, BMW’s, cars with for sale signs and other assorted junk such as a Dodge Neon. So much for the pre 78 and special cars only, clearly no one is enforcing this rule. The whole fuss from a few weeks back is over and it’s business as usual …..

{sigh}

There is no pre-78 rule. :rolleyes:
    How do you know those cars aren’t sleepers too? My Mustang looks bone stock from the outside, but it doesn’t mean it’s stock.

Anonymous
    s4s;16746 wrote:

{sigh}

what a hater

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Wheelman;16743 wrote:
    Hyperform, (good name by the way!)
    I had some time on my hands today so I helped at the gate. The main lot filled to capacity as did the small lot on the left. There were plenty of low riders today, old and new. No one was turned away from either area. We kindly asked newcomer spectators if they would please park in the designated parking area behind the main building if they were not “showing”. As the main lot filled we offered a choice explaining that the main lot was full and there were a few slots on the left lot, so you can take your chances in the main lot or for sure get a spot on the left lot. Everyone was comfortable with that.

I would not worry, your car sounds way cool and there is no set rule. Just remember that if you plan to caravan in a group let the organizers know before you go! You might also find a day when the big lot across the street is open to the public and do your thing there. (Today there was a motorcycle school there so it was not available to C&C.

Garry

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it’s a moot point for me as my car has sprung a power steering leak that I won’t be able to fix before tomorrow. So I’ll still be coming but it’ll be in the daily driver. But I’ll keep in mind your response for the next time I can bring my “sleeper” up there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

my 600hp z wouldn’t have been worthy. It had a sleeper look for a long time and people would have thrown rocks at it. since it’s so common. banghead

Anonymous
    Inactive

So that was your Dodge Neon?

@xapexi 16896 wrote:

what a hater

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a neon that people would probably think is cool. 1995 ACR that has been a race car all it’s life. Was raced in the Neon Celebrity Challenges, Neon Challenge, and Spec Neon.

I also have a sweet 24 Hours of LeMons Neon that has done 4 events.

So, they do exist.

At least that’s what I like to tell myself 🙂

-Ray

Anonymous

i should bring my 97 t-bird. as i’ve been to a ton of these car shows never seen a single t-bird except once but it was for sale so in my opinion doesn’t count. thumbup

Anonymous
    Inactive
    expensivehobby2;18746 wrote:
    I have a neon that people would probably think is cool. 1995 ACR that has been a race car all it’s life. Was raced in the Neon Celebrity Challenges, Neon Challenge, and Spec Neon.

I also have a sweet 24 Hours of LeMons Neon that has done 4 events.

So, they do exist.

At least that’s what I like to tell myself 🙂

-Ray

I’d rather see the Celebrity challenge neon than the Lemons one. 🙂

I also have a neon. Looks mostly stock minus some a carbon hood/lip and rollcage, but it will run 11’s in Denver on street tires. It gets outcast a lot, but whatever. Now with the Denver event I can mix it up. Neon one week, Lamborghini the next. etc

Anonymous

Does this qualify as a “sleeper??”
    imgp0079edited1ba1.jpg

Anonymous
    novajoe;20140 wrote:
    Does this qualify as a “sleeper??”
    imgp0079edited1ba1.jpg

idk….:lol:

Anonymous
    v8_superbird;20152 wrote:
    idk….:lol:

:confused::confused:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    novajoe;20153 wrote:
    :confused::confused:

We would have to see the engine to determine if it’s a sleeper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Irvine’ is closed to new topics and replies.