The Drive of Shame

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Today I planned on taking my 2013 Charger SRT8 to the main lot, because I had just finished detailing it. On arrival at 6:20 a.m. I was ingloriously directed to the parking structure. I was told that that’s where newer four doors are meant to go, with the rude inclusion of “unless you want to get here before 5 a.m. when we do”. I knew that was bull, having been to the event multiple times before, but I assented to the request.

As expected on arrival by foot to the main lot, I saw a number of “newer four door cars” throughout, including an early 2000’s BMW 5 series wagon and a brand new M5. This of course was in addition to the many WRX STi’s and Lancer Evo’s that I always see. And I don’t even need to mention the new Mustang GTs and Camaros that make up a row on their own, 2 doors they may be. And the kicker was that the main lot never even got full.

I only have two comments from my experience:

1. If you are going to make rules and turn people away, can you at least be consistent in enforcing them?

2. If your real goal is to showcase “cars you don’t see the other six days of the week”, then why let in the new Mustangs, Camaros, Miatas, etc. that we all see many times a day all seven days of the week. Make it truly exclusive or don’t, because turning away an SRT anything is turning away something that is rarer than at least a third of the cars I saw today.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The newer four door cars you see in the exhibitor lot do get there extremely early and they do get there before the organizers do. I usually hang out by the driveway for the first hour or so, and they are very strict on the newer 4 door policy. Only time I see a new 4 door car get past them is when they have a disabled person placard or they are a Mazda employee.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I felt compelled to come and post here after having the same thing happen to me this morning. I went knowing that CnC has changed a bit from the fun, informal event that it used to be, so my hopes and expectations weren’t particularly high.

I pulled in around 6:15 and the lot was about 1/2 to 2/3 full at the time. I was driving my ’13 Ford F-350 which I built for Ford for this year’s SEMA show. Yes, it’s new and a truck, two strikes against me right there, but the truck is very customized (tastefully, in my opinion) and not like many that you’d see on an average day. Hey, Ford liked the design enough to give me the truck to build…the event’s in front of one of Ford’s studios…I thought I might have fit the bill. By no means do I feel it’s better than anyone’s vehicle, just unique and in my opinion, interesting and I wanted to come down and display it with pride and meet other people that brought their cars out.

I was in line behind an E46 (01-06) M3 which was lowered on some wheels, very nice but nothing you don’t see all over Irvine on any given day) and behind him was a mid-late 80’s BMW, which, to me at least, looked fairly stock and in kind of rough shape. The elderly gentleman who was directing cars waved them both in with a smile so that got my hopes up a bit, but when he saw me he put his hand out to stop me. He walked up and before I could even get “good morning” out, he told me to go over to the spectator lot because my truck is new. Flat out. I thought maybe he would take a second to think “this isn’t your typical work truck, he’s put some thought into it and maybe people would be interested in it” but sadly, no. His mind was made up the second he saw me. I politely mentioned that the truck was a Ford-sponsored project and thought it might be a good fit. He gestured over to the overflow lot where trucks with trailers were parked and told me that was the best I could get. I jokingly said “the consolation lot eh?” and he just walked away from me to go tell the ’07-09 GT500 behind me to go on in, so I turned around and left.

So, that’s my story, such as it is. I have been to Cars and Coffee about 5-6 times in the past and each time I’ve enjoyed it a great deal. I was able to park my vehicle, talk with people both attending the show and those displaying their vehicles and it was a good time. I’ve seen all manner of vehicle displayed there over the past several years, some extraordinary, some mildly interesting, some rough around the edges or outright busted, and some with fresh dealership license plates. Regardless of the brand, quality, or general state of the vehicle, I always noticed one thing – people were there enjoying each other’s vehicles and each other’s company. No thought for one another’s financial status or taste in cars. I saw people from all genres mixing together and everyone seemed to get along great.

I know the “takeovers” and massive roll-outs of certain cars has caused some of this change. I get it, I do, but I don’t think that’s enough reason for a massive change to happen. I also understand that the folks organizing this event are trying to keep it something special, but what I saw today was an exercise in inconsistency and misguided exclusivity. As I was leaving, I saw a beige C4 Corvette (84-96) being waved in which kind of sealed my thoughts on the rules and guidelines for the event because I realized that the Corvette fit the criteria of what is “allowed” to enter. It was 99-older, it had two doors and it was, in its own time, a sports car.

I just feel that the people working the entry aren’t being objective but rather adhering to guidelines that alienate some very nice vehicles but welcome run of the mill vehicles simply because of their age or classification.

I would say, as others have said, that Cars and Coffee should maybe go with an “all or nothing” approach to its exclusivity. Either make it an exotics/classics-only event, or let everyone who thinks their car is special in some way into the event. I lean towards letting more people in and making it first-come, first-serve than having people feel embarrassed when they’re unceremoniously turned away at the entrance in front of people. People shouldn’t have to try to pull in and hope that the person working the entrance is feeling generous that day. I personally think it should be a fun, open event for people who enjoy cars (and coffee I suppose) to come talk about what they find interesting. Afterall, it’s called Cars and Coffee, not “Exotics, Classics, and Other Things that are Interesting and Coffee.”

Just my 2 cents of course. Hopefully I didn’t come across as disgruntled. At first I thought I’d make a much more angry post, but luckily I had a 45 minute drive home to relax a bit and think about it…

Kris

p.s. Yes, I’ve already considered the fact that it’s not called Trucks and Coffee either…

benzjed
    Participant

Wow, sorry to hear about that… picking an E30 and E46 over your SEMA truck? Wow… simply wow… then a C4… amazing.

Didn’t know the rules changed this drastically and swung the other way around. I think your truck is way more unique than any of those cars, even fixed up E46’s. Yes, there were tons of those around here back in the day when they were NEW, but now that they are a few generations old, you don’t even see them anymore here.

Oh well, haven’t had the urge to wake up to go there in a long time, but wow, it sure sonds very different now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was just disappointed about it. Again, I don’t think I had any MORE right to be there than the others that were let in, but I thought I was at least up to par. I know trucks aren’t really a big thing at CnC either, but I figured it’d be something different. Over the years I’ve brought my customized ’05 Mustang (which was new at the time), an SVT Lightning, my other Super Duty (a SEMA Ford Design Award winner), an M3, M5, and X5M, all custom though not nearly as much as this truck.

For reference…here’s a shot of the truck I brought. I thought it was worthy of being let in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3739[/ATTACH]

Anonymous

Yes C&C has changed a LOT. It started out with a few guys and their interesting weekend rides meeting for a little talk and coffee. It has evolved into a big deal, with not much to do anymore with the original idea of just getting together at a mutual spot while out running interesting cars around. Now, it is supposed to be everything for everybody, forcing the “organizers” to try and develop a “protocol” to the “event.” I put those words in parenthesis because this was never suposed to be “organized,” it was never supposed to be an event and it was never supposed to have a “protocol” for attendance. I guess some things are too good for their own heath and longevity. The “organizers” are there on their own time and there to help facilitate the “non-event.” The LAST thing they wanted to be were gate keepers!! But in their love for cars, and the people connected with them, they have persevered to try and offer the experience to everyone that wants to be part of it. There-in lies the rub and the issues you have discussed, how do you keep the gathering, the “event,” and offer it to eveyone that wants to come. There is a finite amount of space and this forces a selection process. Just be thankful that the “elderly gentleman” has decied to give every Saturday of his life to the enjoyment of others. He is there rain or shine, every weekend of the year. Ford has accepted the mantle of providing the space for the gathering and they have done so under the “supervision and management” of the “elderly Gentleman” becasue they trust him explicitly. Without the “elderly gentleman” and his weekly sacrifice there would be no Cars and Coffee for all of us to attend when ever we get the nudge (and the desire to get up before sunrise) to go. Without Ford, and the elderly gentleman, there would be no C&C for you to enjoy. There was a time waaaay in the past that C&C ceased existance because it outgrew it’s welcome at another location (too many cars, too many people, too much noise, etc., etc.) and Ford and the elderly gentleman saved the “event” from extinction. Come enjoy C&C for what it is ( and isn’t) with the rest of us.

LUNY 2N
    Participant

I’m guessing this started up as a way to thumb one’s nose at the Irvine elitists; but there is a “Cars and Coffee Carlsbad” down at the outlets which seems to be much more in the spirit of what CnC is intended to be. It’s Saturdays 7a-9a and I was there today. A wide range of cars showed from your usual Bimmerphiles to Mustangs, Nissans, and some more rare items including a Pantera, Two McLarens, a Morris Minor, TVR, and a couple GT-Rs.

Anonymous

@DirtyBlue 85835 wrote:

I’m guessing this started up as a way to thumb one’s nose at the Irvine elitists; but there is a “Cars and Coffee Carlsbad” down at the outlets which seems to be much more in the spirit of what CnC is intended to be. It’s Saturdays 7a-9a and I was there today. A wide range of cars showed from your usual Bimmerphiles to Mustangs, Nissans, and some more rare items including a Pantera, Two McLarens, a Morris Minor, TVR, and a couple GT-Rs.

If you would like to see what the original C&C spirit (intent) was, look at this web site:

http://www.drivingline.com/2013/05/cars-coffee-the-real-beginnings-at-crystal-cove/

Look carefully at the car types in the large overall picture shot…

benzjed
    Participant

@GregJ 85885 wrote:

If you would like to see what the original C&C spirit (intent) was, look at this web site:

http://www.drivingline.com/2013/05/cars-coffee-the-real-beginnings-at-crystal-cove/

Look carefully at the car types in the large overall picture shot…

You mean… these plain cars driven by enthusiasts who are just your regular joes like the bimmerphiles, Mustang drivers, Mopar fans, and such? Yeah, I see them all over in this picture.lololol[ATTACH=CONFIG]3740[/ATTACH]

Don’t know why people have to keep insisting that the C&C concept is for everyone to show off their daily drivers. It really clearly isn’t. It’s for enthusiasts who own or like or just want to see special cars. Doesn’t have to be an ultra expensive or exotic car, but it has to be special, and different, and not just a regular mass production car with some rims and a muffler.

If they really wanted to do that type of show for their regular cars, there are tons of car meets all over the country for people to gather and look at each other’s VW’s, bimmers, Subarus, Scions, etc. Just look up SoCalCarCulture or SoCalCarMeets for the calendar and find your brand for their meet.

LUNY 2N
    Participant

Okay, so where are the actual rules? Because It seems to me the “four doors not allowed” is arbitrary (as I evidenced myself watching these redcoats this morning). Why is this Cars and Coffee different from other locations in the US? It seems to me that there’s no way to enforce this elitism. And it seems to me the line of Ford [Focus/Fiesta] ST cars this morning got PLENTY of attention.

But it’s okay. If you want to park your run-of-the-mill Corvettes in a fire lane (apparently since they’re two doors, it’s “unique and special” enough for you), then we’ll keep showing up early to make sure that there’s fair representation across the board. But hey, if you want to discriminate against a bunch of veterans (most of us are) well, then…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@DirtyBlue 85965 wrote:

Okay, so where are the actual rules? Because It seems to me the “four doors not allowed” is arbitrary (as I evidenced myself watching these redcoats this morning). Why is this Cars and Coffee different from other locations in the US? It seems to me that there’s no way to enforce this elitism. And it seems to me the line of Ford [Focus/Fiesta] ST cars this morning got PLENTY of attention.

But it’s okay. If you want to park your run-of-the-mill Corvettes in a fire lane (apparently since they’re two doors, it’s “unique and special” enough for you), then we’ll keep showing up early to make sure that there’s fair representation across the board. But hey, if you want to discriminate against a bunch of veterans (most of us are) well, then…

This is different because this is the one that started all the imitators. This is the one that causes people to roll out at 5:30 just to hang with their friends. The rules are a bit crazy and this truck should have certainly gotten in. It’s caused the show to die down in turn out but today was like the old days. The rules were put in place to stop the line of cars that reaches all the way up Gateway, but I agree it is unfair and poorly enforced.

Anonymous

@DirtyBlue 85965 wrote:

Well now you discern the perplexing problem…:

1. There are no “rules,” or at least there were not suposed to be any. However, and reluctantly, Guidelines had to be offered due to abuse by “everyone” who invited themselves. Yes the selection can be arbitrary, the whole deal is arbitrarty.

2. This C&C is different than anyone anywhere else because it was the first one and was not “Cars and Coffee” – it was just a garthering of like minded guys/gals with cars. All the other C&C “events” came along because they wanted an “event.

3. A line of Ford Focus cars ( no 2 alike, each a different flavor), in a Ford parking lot, at a Ford design center, seems a small price to tolerate a one time presentation for the continued, weekly, year around use of a private Ford owned parking lot – at no cost to anyone but Ford!.

4. Your last paragraph belies the fact you really don’t have the spirit of the “gathering” at heart. I have been going since the inception, I go each time not expecting anything. If I get in great, if not no big deal – I’ll either trun around and go home (it was a great excuse to get the car out anyway) or park in the spectator lot and have a walk around. I was there last Saturday. It was nuts for attendance, spectaors and cars alike. The weekend between Christmas and New Years is usually one of the biggest “gatherings.” The orgnaizers worked very hard at accmodating everyone at both the main parking lot (venue) and at the spectaor parking lot off site. I watched them ushering in late comers, on an available space basis, all the way thourgh the entire “event” time.

I think everyone needs to get off this “bashing” attitude. You may have noticed a new hotel going-up directly accross from the “event” parking lot. When done it is certainly anticipated they will not tolerate noise and traffic interfering with their comfort zone – Cars and Coffee may be dead at that point. The only possible hope to keep C&C Irvine intact is to make everything about the “gathering” simple, quiet, organized (yuk), well mannered and below the radar. Otherwise it is soon to be history…

SkubaSteve

Same thing happened to me and my buddy a while back, we were both turned away, I drove my 2008 BMW M5 Dinan and he was in his 2010 Porsche gt3. Told to park in the parking structure, yet when we walked over I came to find out there was an entire row bmw m5’s older and nowhere near as nice as mine.

Haven’t bothered to attend this event since the first visit or two…

I check the forums every so often to see how things are going and it’s always the same deal. People with unique vehicles that don’t fit with the tastes of a select few people who should probably just off themselves and do the world a favor. Sounds harsh I know… But i’m just fed up with it.

IMO, if you’re driving a massive Ford truck customized and pretty for a major event like SEMA, just keep driving forward, either they will move out of the way or get run over and I along with many others would be happy to testify that they jumped out in front of you to commit suicide.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@SE-Chris 87556 wrote:

Haven’t bothered to attend this event since the first visit or two…

I check the forums every so often to see how things are going and it’s always the same deal. People with unique vehicles that don’t fit with the tastes of a select few people who should probably just off themselves and do the world a favor. Sounds harsh I know… But i’m just fed up with it.

IMO, if you’re driving a massive Ford truck customized and pretty for a major event like SEMA, just keep driving forward, either they will move out of the way or get run over and I along with many others would be happy to testify that they jumped out in front of you to commit suicide.

You’re fed up with the operations of an event you’ve attended once or twice?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Irvine’ is closed to new topics and replies.