Really need your honest opinion…What do you like/dislike about the dallas show?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 218 total)
  • Author
    VUJuan

@Taxman 66339 wrote:

Just enjoy the show, and if you don’t like Mustangs or Corvettes, walk down another aisle.

The problem is that the “American Muscle” overflows their sectioned aisles, and choke up the foreign car side and any place they can find to park.

scodemike

@Taxman 66339 wrote:

The reason there are more Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and Corvettes is because there are more car enthusiasts who own these. The exotics that were turned away or are parking in the overflow section are there because they chose to show up late. Get there on time, and there is always a spot. Maybe YOU want to see the exotics, but a lot of people love to see good old American Muscle cars too. The reason CnC is so successful is because all the different car clubs participate. If you took out the American cars clubs or the import car clubs, CnC would consist of a few exotics and an empty parking lot. Just enjoy the show, and if you don’t like Mustangs or Corvettes, walk down another aisle.

Eric asked for us to give our opinions and critiques, if you don’t like mine that’s your right. The fact of the matter is that 50-70% of the lot is filled with American Muscle Cars. I don’t know if you are aware of this, but anything over 50% is considered a “majority”. I understand that all sorts of cars and car clubs show up but if you have one region of cars that takes up the “majority” of the space, it overshadows everybody else.

I urge all car clubs to organize before each meet and find out who all is going. Then have your group decide who should and shouldn’t park in the lot. Most of all, people should use common sense.

I don’t have a problem with American Muscle cars at all. I do have a problem with having so many of the same type there. Next time you go just watch people. They walk past all the stock/nearly stock muscle cars unless it has been highly customized or is a classic. Myself and others feel like you walk by and have the “seen one, you’ve seen them all” type feeling.

Lastly, maybe YOU want to see the American Muscle cars but a lot of people love to see the exotics. The reason CnC is so successful is because all the different car clubs participate. If you took out the imports and exotics, CnC would look like a Ford dealership. Remember. just enjoy the show.

@CW240Z 66381 wrote:

The problem is that the “American Muscle” overflows their sectioned aisles, and choke up the foreign car side and any place they can find to park.

Agreed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Continue with your thoughts even after tomorrow’s show. We have had a few meetings discussing the future of the show—all good. Just want to really have a handle of this thing before we go making any changes. It is a very good show. We will be doing something different during the show…We will be gathering information, names/e-mails and make and model of your car. We are hoping to have real data as to what the actual show consists of and how we can best handle the various makes and models of cars.

Hope to see you all here tomorrow morning!

Eric

AtomicZ06
    Participant

I don’t necessarily disagree with you that unmodified cars should find a spot in the spectator section. I would also say that sections should be more clearly marked. I think the issue I had with what you said was more about the American cars getting there early and then the exotics get turned away. The American cars get there on time. By ten people are leaving already as the heat of the day starts to set in. And about where the crowds are, man there’s always a crowd in the Mustang aisles. People always stop and talk to me about my car, so I can’t really speak to your experience.

So for the moderator, some suggestions would be to more clearly mark the sections for makes of cars. Also, allow certain car clubs to reserve spots, so that all cars are represented. I know my mustang club each month brings anywhere from 10-20 really nice mustangs. We’d love to get involved and get a better understanding of what CnC would like from us.

The most important thing is this is a great meet. We all love to come and hang out and talk cars from enthusiasts from all over the automotive spectrum. Y’all are putting on a great event and we look forward to continuing our participation.

Jaye
    DFW Mustangs Car Club

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Taxman 66438 wrote:

Also, allow certain car clubs to reserve spots, so that all cars are represented.

The problem with that, is something like this could happen. Say a car club reserves 10 spots, and only 3 club members show up. What do you do with the rest of the spots? Keep them coned off, hoping everyone else shows up? Eventually, people will get mad that they are coned off for pretty much no reason. A well documented example from another forum, from a previous event.

I still remember the asshat in the t-bucket a few months ago that blocked off the entire front row. He kept saying “Oh, there’s a bunch more buckets on their way”. I left around 11:30 and the row still just had his car in it. Waste.

I agree with all of the posts about the Mustangs and Challengers. I go to see the uncommon and unusual. I mean, seriously, how many can you count here? I could go to the mall parking lot and see just as many of them.
    430125_297977483602565_264641663602814_767445_416618167_n.jpg
    421958_297977516935895_264641663602814_767446_1757965363_n.jpg

Also a good point. Because of that, show-worthy cars get turned away. A couple of examples that I have seen: Mercedes SLS Gullwing, Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4, Mercedes 300SL Gullwing, Ferrari 550, countless Ferrari 360s/430s, Nissan GT-R, Ford GT, a rare 1966 Ferrari 330 GTC (one of 600 and quite valuable), and countless others. Why? Because of the reason stated above.

ZeeOne

I could care less if it offends anybody, Rules need to be set and, more importantly, enforced.

Set a conservative cutoff. Once spots are filled, that’s it. Do not continue to allow people to park down isles, blocking others in. Half of the time I am blocked in by people I don’t even know. I understand the gravity of this event, that there will be many people there, and that being blocked in might be typical. However, it isn’t ideal or realistic. Some people have other things going on in the day, and can’t always stay until people clear out.

Enforce car make specific parking. Keep staff there on each ends of the lots to ensure that only a specific type of car is parking in the appropriate section.

Be on time. I don’t care if you drive a Ferrari or a Pinto, get there on time. If you don’t, and no actual parking spots are available, try to get there on time or earlier next month.

Enforcing rules isn’t a personal attack, it’s the nature of the beast, so to speak. It’s just business. Without rules or any type of regulation, there is no order.

I love this meet, I really do. It is the only car show I really ever go to. It gets chaotic, and I think with some simple, enforced rules, it can be an even better experience.

In regards to splitting up the meet (domestic one day, import another), sure. Keep in mind this is a regular business, with business hours. I can understand if they can’t afford to use more than one day a month for this event, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if it was split up, or even if it was a regular, weekly event. Maybe bi-weekly? It might help keep some of the crowds down.

Just some thoughts.

9114sguy
    Participant

I have been attending C&C for about a year now and I would like to thank Eric Moss for hosting this event. One of the coolest things about this gathering is the extremely diverse mix of cars that are there each month. We are very lucky to have everything from classic Moto Guzzi bikes to Benchmark 1966 Corvettes to brand new Lamborghinis and Ferraris. I never get tired of seeing what turns up. I would like to say thanks to all the guys that bring their rides. We all know how “new and improved” usually turns out to be “not as good as it once was”, so in trying to make this event better, let’s not screw it up by excluding certain vehicles, with one exception: brand new cars that are not specialty vehicles in any way and forcing cars to park in certain locations. Remember guys, this event brings car guys together, let’s not start pointing the finger at each other and splitting into factions, that will wreck or cool C&C quicker than anything else in the world. No separate days, no separate parking areas. It’s all a big party–that means every vehicle there.
    Except brand new cars from a local dealerships……

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the reply—it’s Maas.

It’s all good.

johnhensen
    Participant

Eric,

C & C Dallas is an amazing event. The diversity of cars on display are both it’s strength and weakness. The problems encountered this month had as much to do with traffic flow/control around the event as the number of cars on the lot. Routing all traffic, show and spectator, to one access and egress point created a situation that was inconvenient, potentially damaging to performance vehicles left to idle for over a half hour while sitting in line, and was not necessary. I had no interest in getting on the show lot but had to que up with everyone to crawl down to the spectator lot N of the show lot. Opening multiple entrances would have diminished or eliminated that issue. As for limiting the size of the show or type vehicle to be entered, let the “market place” determine that. Your capable staff of volunteers direct vehicles to general display areas by type or geograhical origin and depend on the owner/operator to be reasonable and cooperative.

You do a great job. Don’t over correct. Could result in a nasty skid.

Thanks for what you do.

clk

morganjackson
    Participant

@William48 65613 wrote:

As recent as this last meet, I was seeing Ford GT’s, old/new Ferraris/Lamborghinis being turned away while you have completely normal unmodified cars taking up space in the lot. That brings me to my next point, you don’t get let in if your car has not been modified at all (once again, the exotics/classics are the exception).

TL;DR:
    2. You don’t get let into the lot if your car is stock (except for classics/exotics).

The only problem I have with this bit is the discriminatory nature of the suggestion. It implies that unless I spent $100,000 on my car, it’s not “worthy” of being at an open car event. Basically you’re saying that my $30,000, showroom-clean car isn’t as “cool,” or “deserving” of a spot at this event. The problem with this thinking is that many people start their upgrading with things that actually add power and/or performance. Since about 4 months after i bought it, my car hasn’t been stock. But I’m not going to put a cheesy body kit on my car or add neon lights all over it just so that it looks “not stock.”

This begs the following question. Is this an event strictly for the rich guys to be able to rub it in the faces of everyone who isn’t rich, or is it an event for car lovers of all types to come and admire each other’s cars?

The rules have always been “first-come, first-served.” I’ve known that since the very first one I came to. Perhaps some sort of system could be implemented in the later hours as the lot fills up; but if someone gets up early enough to get there while it’s still dark, it would be lame to turn them away based on how much their car cost.

morganjackson
    Participant

@ericmaas 65768 wrote:

i must tell you that we have encountered major issues regarding screening of cars—our guys at the front have told various owners, (one in particular was a brand new car from a local dealership, driven by a salesperson for display at the show) when told that he could not park in the lot—he literally drove over my volunteer! my people have been cursed at and threatened when they have told some that they could not park in the event. we have put signs up that say, “is you car a show car?” hoping that some of the normal cars would feel out of place and decide to park in the spectator lot. we will find a remedy.

Hopefully that remedy is not throwing laminated cards into people’s cars as they are driving away, as has happened in the past. That can be potentially dangerous. I’m sure it’s also illegal.

As for the whole “is you car a show car,” bit — since a great many other shows (like the recent one in downtown Dallas) reserve areas for “stock” cars, asking if a person’s car is a show car is widely subjective. Some might say a stock Ferrari is a show car. Personally, I think it’s just a pricier stock car.

My point is, if you’re going to allow a busted up, heavily paint-chipped Chevy Cobalt in; or a crap-brown Datsun from the ’80’s, turning away a brand new, showroom shined stock car isn’t going to fly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The issue with entry and exit for the event was planned. We really do want to make the show great—even if that means doing nothing at all…We have never officially audited our show. We needed to have a very close to perfect count in order to determine what the actual show was made up of. So, one lane was necessary. We passed out green information cards at the entrance and retrieved them at exit in order to gather the data. We hope to have a good channel for communication established and we hope to try to make everything flow better. Thanks for the input and keep it coming.

Eric

VUJuan

@RADriver 66518 wrote:

The only problem I have with this bit is the discriminatory nature of the suggestion. It implies that unless I spent $100,000 on my car, it’s not “worthy” of being at an open car event. Basically you’re saying that my $30,000, showroom-clean car isn’t as “cool,” or “deserving” of a spot at this event. The problem with this thinking is that many people start their upgrading with things that actually add power and/or performance. Since about 4 months after i bought it, my car hasn’t been stock. But I’m not going to put a cheesy body kit on my car or add neon lights all over it just so that it looks “not stock.”

This begs the following question. Is this an event strictly for the rich guys to be able to rub it in the faces of everyone who isn’t rich, or is it an event for car lovers of all types to come and admire each other’s cars?

The rules have always been “first-come, first-served.” I’ve known that since the very first one I came to. Perhaps some sort of system could be implemented in the later hours as the lot fills up; but if someone gets up early enough to get there while it’s still dark, it would be lame to turn them away based on how much their car cost.

Regardless of how much you spent or what you drive to C&C, no one wants to see 10+ of the same car at the event, even if they all have “slight performance mods.” This goes for all domestic and foreign cars, which was evident by the large amount of GTRs and Mustangs at the last show. One way to solve this would be limiting the number of the same car that can park in the show area. It wouldn’t be right to let 5 Ferrari 458s pulled in and fill up the already limited space, or allow a bunch of 80s 911s to crowd up the German aisle. With cars like the Mustangs, have a limit of how many can enter from each generation.

Chase

morganjackson
    Participant

I think the best solution is a combination of first-come/first-served, marked spaces, *and* number limits after a certain time.

Everyone knows, by now, that you have to get there early for a spot. I think they should cone off and separate each area like they started trying to do recently….like that map that was shown…..but after a certain time, any open spots can be taken by whoever shows up first….and that’s where number limits can factor in. Don’t limit numbers based on allocated areas *and* late arrivals. Make the number limits apply only to the spillover areas.

For example, the import lanes….. in January, we had 9 Evos show up, and we all got there pretty early. So it was good that we had that section available. But in April, only 4 or 5 came. In January, our 9 Evos used almost all of the lane that was allocated. But we didn’t try to hold the same number of spots in April because we knew wouldn’t be able to and we knew that those in our group knew the best time to arrive and if they weren’t already there it was their tough luck.

First off, this is still the best car meet in DFW. I have been thinking about how it could be improved and it’s tough. I did see an 8 to 10 year old stock Dodge truck being directed to spectator parking and I agreed. It is difficult to set hard rules though. Where do you draw the line without offending people? It took me awhile to get in last weekend but I will be there earlier next time. There may not be a better way with the space available. I love the mix of cars and would hate for that to change.

For example, I have a 2002 Camaro SS. It is not a classic, exotic, or even very valuable (according to KBB). It is far from stock, I try to present it well at CnC, and I do get people looking at it and asking questions. It is my weekend fun car. Should I park in spectator parking? Some would say yes and some would say no.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 218 total)
  • The topic ‘Really need your honest opinion…What do you like/dislike about the dallas show?’ is closed to new replies.