Really need your honest opinion…What do you like/dislike about the dallas show?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 218 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the best solution out there is one Classic can’t control…the minds of people who bring cars to C&C. Some people really need to think twice about parking a car they bring in the show lot. It seems most everyone thinks if they get there early enough, they are in the show regardless of what they drive. I bet if they did that, we wouldn’t be in this situation right now.

morganjackson
    Participant

Yeah….how dare someone spend only $30,000 on their car, then only another $5,000-$10,000 on customizing it and then think they can park in the same lot as a Lamborghini?

/extreme sarcasm

eurorag57
    Participant

For July 7th the gates will not open till 8:30am unless you have a pass?

I have a 1969 Plymouth GTX 440 4spd, air grabber with a dana all matching numbers including sheet metal. The idea of sitting in a long line poses three risks for me 1. big block and texas heat is not a happy marriage 2. 11″ clutch 3. fender bender risk. It is not worth the risk of losing or damaging my prized possession for a ridiculous idea of a gate time.

First come, first served. If you want a good spot get up early.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@J69GTX 68114 wrote:

For July 7th the gates will not open till 8:30am unless you have a pass?

No official word. It’s an assumption for now.

elvis
    Participant

I’m new here.. Just went to my first Dallas C&C a couple months ago, and since then, I have been thinking about bringing my car to the event. Came to this site to see what the entry requirements are and stumbled into this thread. After reading everything, I don’t think I’ll try to bring my car. It’s 40 years old, and restored, but I don’t think it will like being in a line of 300 cars bumping along shifting in and out of 1st, and then (from what it sounds like) I’ll end up parking in the outback somewhere anyhow. If I am reading this right, since I don’t have a prearranged entrance permit, even if I arrive early I’ll have to sit and idle (or park in line along side the road) till 8:30 and hope my number in line is less than 500.

I know that I am going to catch Hell for this, but I think that there are just too many late model Mustangs and Corvettes out there. I’m not saying my car is more wonderful than a 2008 Mustang but it is less common. I fall on the side of those who would like to see more variety and less late-model cars that I can see at any shopping mall parking lot.

Here is my try at some entry criteria that might be simple enough to post and enforce.

a) -1 Any car that is less than one model year old, is going to be rare enough to be interesting.
    b) – 10,000 Any car of which 10,000 or less (rough count) were produced.
    c) + 15 Any car that is 15 years old or more.
    d) Substantially Shaken or Stirred,wheels off. Ignoring Wheels, any car that is substantially customized or engine modded.
    e) Gatekeeper’s choice Any car that interests the guy at the gate making the call enough to bypass the general rules.

Here’s my thinking, for what it’s worth: Any car that is less than one model year old, is going to be rare enough to be interesting. ‘Common’ cars that are 15 years or older which show up for a C&C are likely to be something that is no longer common on the streets. Cars which were produced in numbers of 10,000 or less are going to permit exotics of any age, Saleens, Vipers and so forth. Shaken or Stirred, wheels off is an attempt to allow substantially customized cars of any age; the ‘wheels off’ idea excludes guys who just put ‘dubs’ on a 2009 Malibu, or slapped a chrome gas cap cover on a pickup. Stirred is to allow cars of any age which have had substantial engine work done, beyond a CAI. Gatekeepers choice is to allow cars like a 2011 Chevy Volt that might not make any of the other cut rules but is still rare enough to be interesting.

I think standards like this would give the guys at the gate a quick and easy decision template. The gate keeper just makes a “turn right” into the lot, or “turn left” and go look for a parking place somewhere call.

With this system I”m trying to find a way to keep the show interesting. Note that this system is going to make the ‘ordinary Porsche’ guys as angry as the ‘ordinary Corvette’ guys. Any set of rules is going to make the Mustang guys angry, so I focused on the idea of brand new, classic or limited production domestic muscle.

Comments? I put on my Nomex suit and I’m interested to see what you think and/or what improvements you would suggest.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Lokki 68119 wrote:

a) -1 Any car that is less than one model year old, is going to be rare enough to be interesting.
    b) – 10,000 Any car of which 10,000 or less (rough count) were produced.
    c) + 15 Any car that is 15 years old or more.
    d) Substantially Shaken or Stirred,wheels off. Ignoring Wheels, any car that is substantially customized or engine modded.
    e) Gatekeeper’s choice Any car that interests the guy at the gate making the call enough to bypass the general rules.

I think that’s a great criteria. If people get mad that their bone stock Mustang was turned away, so be it. Alot of them act like they can’t walk around the show lot because they can’t park their precious stock Mustang in the lot containing 40-50 (more than likely more) of the same model. The original vision of the Crystal Cove event was to host cars that are of interest and are unusual, not the majority of the lot being dominated by modern domestics that are seen daily by everyone.

pkflynn
    Participant

I want to attend cnc in June with my Dad from out of town. Have rules changed? I have not been since April? I have no special pass but a decent non Italian exotic. When should I show up?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@007DFW 68125 wrote:

I want to attend cnc in June with my Dad from out of town. Have rules changed? I have not been since April? I have no special pass but a decent non Italian exotic. When should I show up?

No rules have changed as of yet, but keep checking back here as Eric may have something to say regarding the lifetime passes. Get there around 7, preferably before.

morganjackson
    Participant

@Kevin 68122 wrote:

If people get mad that their bone stock Mustang was turned away, so be it. Alot of them act like they can’t walk around the show lot because they can’t park their precious stock Mustang in the lot containing 40-50 (more than likely more) of the same model.

Still on this, are you? I could have sworn the dozens of photos posted of all the highly customized domestics pretty much proved that a “bone stock” Mustang was a pretty rare sight at the event. But I guess proof doesn’t matter when you just want to gripe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay…maybe I shouldn’t have worded it like that. But this event doesn’t need anymore modern domestics. They’re overrunning the show and making it bland for nearly everyone. Except for you of course. You actually like seeing 50+ of the same car. They started to weed cars out last month and I’m sure they will be doing it again next weekend. Who cares if the owners get mad…there’s already too many. They’re just trying to put more variety into this event, and keep the domestics from dominating. After all, this is how Irvine does it. I’m sure half of what shows up here would not be allowed into the lot in Irvine. Their turnouts may be a bit smaller than ours, but they have the concept of quality over quantity down. I’m happy to see that Classic BMW is starting to lean that direction.

elvis
    Participant

@RADriver 68128 wrote:

Still on this, are you? I could have sworn the dozens of photos posted of all the highly customized domestics pretty much proved that a “bone stock” Mustang was a pretty rare sight at the event. But I guess proof doesn’t matter when you just want to gripe.

Or does the fact you have no pictures of stock cars just prove that no one bothers to take photos of stock cars?

Anyhow, what do you think of the proposal? Obviously, it wouldn’t block the customized cars you are talking about so it wouldn’t cause any problem, right?

morganjackson
    Participant

@Lokki 68130 wrote:

Or does the fact you have no pictures of stock cars just prove that no one bothers to take photos of stock cars?

Actually, the pics posted weren’t from me, though I do have some. And considering how the domestics parking right behind here my group parks, it makes it pretty easy to see what is and is not there. And I don’t recall seeing any that were “bone stock” unless we’re talking about a $50,000+ Cobra or a new Boss 302 (of course the Chevy and Dodge areas being further away, I can’t really speculate on what’s in that area).

@Lokki 68130 wrote:

Anyhow, what do you think of the proposal? Obviously, it wouldn’t block the customized cars you are talking about so it wouldn’t cause any problem, right?

That all depends in the one at the gate, really. If the car trying to enter doesn’t “impress” him enough, it may not get in. And I have personally witnessed bias on the part of the gate people, and that was as the cars were leaving, forget about when they’re trying to get in.

BRABUS_E500
    Participant

I will take any of the cars that are not welcome/unable to fit at CandC parking lot. I have lots of room at my parking lot. Just let me know!!

Magic
    Participant

Whoa, I just read this. I registered last month but have not received a “Pass.” Last month I brought my car, a restored 74 Pantera, dirty and covered with dead bugs since it had just returned from a 2500 mile trip out to Phoenix for our national club’s annual fun rally. I guess not having it all cleaned up was not the thing to do.

I actually thought it was a good thing, however, since the dead bugs and the racing numbers on the sides ( I tracked it while in Phoenix ) demonstrated an interesting car that is well sorted and is used for the purpose for which it was made – driving. I have to say, it sure started a lot of conversations at the show. Which brings me to the point of my post. I hope they decide to include interesting cars, cars that start conversations, cars that bring smiles to people’s faces, and cars that regular people can own, restore and enjoy. All sorts of cars fit that description and I hope to see them all at the show.

I’ll be cleaning mine up good before this month’s show. Hopefully, I’ll get a pass!

Jeff

expewlypala
    Participant

Just got this in my email yesterday… Looks like waiting in line to register was just as expected. It was basically just a means to see what cars are showing up. Gotta love being told your registering for one thing and then they pull the plug on the whole deal supossedly, but still allowing the privledged long time friends of cars and coffee a pass and way in. Also still no explaination on what is going on the day of as well. The way it reads if you have a pass you get in before 8:30 if you dont have a pass you block traffic for an hour and half waiting and hoping you can get in. Since nothing was sent out if you can still get in at the normal time. Great way to carry on the confusion and frustration c and c staff.. Bravo….

Hello-
    Thank you for providing your car information for Cars and Coffee. Your information and the feedback that everyone has provided has helped us better Cars and Coffee. We are going to continue to collect information to help us better communicate. For the time being, we are going to hold off on handing out additional Life Time passes. For those of you who have received a pass, we will continue to honor it if you show up by 8:30 am. We hope to see all of you at the show on June 2 supporting March of Dimes. Continue to keep an eye on our forum at http://dallas.carsandcoffee.info/.

Kind Regards-
    Cars and Coffee Staff

Remember to donate to our to the charity of the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 218 total)
  • The topic ‘Really need your honest opinion…What do you like/dislike about the dallas show?’ is closed to new replies.