Purpose of using Clay Bar

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Clay is a mixture of clay base and various mild abrasives. Clay along with a clay lubricant is used to remove paint contamination. Road grime, tar, bugs, rust, tree sap and even paint overspray can be removed with a clay bar.
    Clay bars differ in color and density but what is most important, type and amount of abrasive particles they contain. All clay bars will be labeled from “mild” to “strong” abrasive quality.
    Claying does not remove the clear coat of the paint but can cause marring or dullness if used incorrectly. When using a clay bar sufficient lubrication must be present to avoid scratching the paint. It takes a few passes of clay to feel the difference on the surface of the paint.
    To evaluate the effectiveness of claying dry the area and assess the paint and the bar.
    The paint should become slick to touch. The clay bar used should be turning gray. If the clay bar is dropped it must be discarded. The clay bar should be folded over frequently to expose clean surface. Claying does not replace polishing.
    It is a process that should be used before polishing compound is used. Claying should be used once or twice a year.

Anonymous

You are so right. I never knew about claying. I had my car detailed by an anal-retentive nut — he took two days, and yes, he clayed it.

WOW – what a difference – the finish was silky smooth. I hope I can keep it looking that good…

Any tips for rims? I hate brake flakes…

Anonymous
    DarkSideDE;14855 wrote:
    You are so right. I never knew about claying. I had my car detailed by an anal-retentive nut — he took two days, and yes, he clayed it.

WOW – what a difference – the finish was silky smooth. I hope I can keep it looking that good…

Any tips for rims? I hate brake flakes…

I use Zymol Concourse on rims all you have to do is wash and dry. How long a go you detailied the car?

Anonymous

@Mike 14860 wrote:

I use Zymol Concourse on rims all you have to do is wash and dry. How long a go you detailied the car?

about 6 weeks ago…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have yet to clay bar my new paint, but I have heard that it does not remove swirls. There are products on the market to remove swirls, but do you use these before or after the clay bar?

Anonymous
    fbody_mike;14977 wrote:
    I have yet to clay bar my new paint, but I have heard that it does not remove swirls. There are products on the market to remove swirls, but do you use these before or after the clay bar?

After Claying the car,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.