Pointers on Organizing a Car Show?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LHR011150
    Participant

Hi all! I figured I’d ask here since this is a very large gathering of car enthusiasts! I had suggested at my kid’s school that we do a car show as a fund raiser for the school and it seems to have been very well received. Now I need to figure out how to organize it and get some cool cars out there for the event! I’ve been to several car shows and have shown my rides before, so I know how to participate…what I need is some pointers on organizing it! I’ve got some time before we will schedule the show, so I need to do my research. Any pointers?

The show will be in McKinney, but nothing is set yet. And of course, all fund raised will go to benefit the kids!

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, first off…what all do you “have” for the show? Do you have refreshments and bathrooms covered? What about a crew of 10 or so people who helps clean up? You know, stuff like that.

LHR011150
    Participant

@Kevin 67795 wrote:

Well, first off…what all do you “have” for the show? Do you have refreshments and bathrooms covered? What about a crew of 10 or so people who helps clean up? You know, stuff like that.

Yep, all of that will be covered. I guess I just need pointers on how to get cool cars and spectators there. Limited budget, of course, so it’ll have to be advertised on the cheap. I just don’t want to get this whole thing going only to find that my two rides are the only two in the show!

Thanks,
    Tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are good with any of the Microsoft Office programs, like Word, make a flyer and have someone (like Staples or FedEx Office) print a few hundred copies, and then distribute them across the area. In addition, if you have a Facebook, make an Event page for the event and tell people to spread the word. Or if any of your friends are on any car forums, tell them to post it there.

vdub10golf

Are you sure you want to? They are a lot of work but can be very rewarding. I am one of the organizers for one of the largest annual shows in the metroplex.
    It takes a LOT of work and you need to start planning at least 3 months in advance.

1. Pick a date. Look on the car show calendars and make sure not to be on the same date as a big local event that will take away potential participants of your show. Avoid holidays, local Nascar races, any kind of local big car show or national show (even as far away as Oklahoma). This is the hardest part.
    2. Classes? How many classes? What classes?
    3. Who is going to pay for the trophies? This is the biggest expense.
    4. Entertainment? What kind of entertainment? Cost of entertainment?
    5. Concessions? Need to have food and drinks available. Who is going to front the money to get it going?
    6. Get a website with all of the information on it.
    7. Get the word out!!!! Put it on every single website that lists car shows. Email all of the local car clubs and invite their club. Have a club participation award to get them interested as they love to compete against each other in a friendly way.
    8. Starting 2 months prior go to every single car show within 50 miles and hand out fliers.
    9. Judges? You need to have your judges lined up early. Or will it be participant judging? That needs to be on the flier.
    10. Who is going to be the contact person? You need to have an email and phone number on the flier and website. You WILL get a ton of emails and calls.
    11. Registration? Pre registration or not?
    12. How many working registration that know what they are doing? This is HUGE!!!!
    13. Parking attendants? How many working the parking lot and know what they are doing? Again, this one is HUGE!
    14. Who is going to front the money to pay for all of the copies?
    15. Are you going to sell T-Shirts? If so, how many are you going to order? Who is going to front the money to pay for them?

That is just a list to start with. It really is a lot to do and take in to make it a good and productive car show.

Good luck 🙂

LHR011150
    Participant

@MomGoFast 67941 wrote:

Are you sure you want to? They are a lot of work but can be very rewarding. I am one of the organizers for one of the largest annual shows in the metroplex.
    It takes a LOT of work and you need to start planning at least 3 months in advance.

1. Pick a date. Look on the car show calendars and make sure not to be on the same date as a big local event that will take away potential participants of your show. Avoid holidays, local Nascar races, any kind of local big car show or national show (even as far away as Oklahoma). This is the hardest part.
    2. Classes? How many classes? What classes?
    3. Who is going to pay for the trophies? This is the biggest expense.
    4. Entertainment? What kind of entertainment? Cost of entertainment?
    5. Concessions? Need to have food and drinks available. Who is going to front the money to get it going?
    6. Get a website with all of the information on it.
    7. Get the word out!!!! Put it on every single website that lists car shows. Email all of the local car clubs and invite their club. Have a club participation award to get them interested as they love to compete against each other in a friendly way.
    8. Starting 2 months prior go to every single car show within 50 miles and hand out fliers.
    9. Judges? You need to have your judges lined up early. Or will it be participant judging? That needs to be on the flier.
    10. Who is going to be the contact person? You need to have an email and phone number on the flier and website. You WILL get a ton of emails and calls.
    11. Registration? Pre registration or not?
    12. How many working registration that know what they are doing? This is HUGE!!!!
    13. Parking attendants? How many working the parking lot and know what they are doing? Again, this one is HUGE!
    14. Who is going to front the money to pay for all of the copies?
    15. Are you going to sell T-Shirts? If so, how many are you going to order? Who is going to front the money to pay for them?

That is just a list to start with. It really is a lot to do and take in to make it a good and productive car show.

Good luck 🙂

Good info! Thanks! I figure this thing will not be too big to start but it will be something. I’ve got an idea on most of that stuff, so I’ll have to focus on other things. One thing I was thinking about since most car shows do it is dash plaques…have any contacts where I can get those made?

Thanks,
    Tom

vdub10golf

@tliss 68022 wrote:

Good info! Thanks! I figure this thing will not be too big to start but it will be something. I’ve got an idea on most of that stuff, so I’ll have to focus on other things. One thing I was thinking about since most car shows do it is dash plaques…have any contacts where I can get those made?

Thanks,
    Tom

We do not do the dash plaques. Have not had one person ask to get one yet in the 5 years we have been doing it.
    You can ask the person doing your trophies. Or, the second you put it on a website advertising the show you will
    get a gazillion emails from people w/ all kinds of things and some are offering dash plaques.

Good luck!!!!!!!

LHR011150
    Participant

@MomGoFast 68060 wrote:

We do not do the dash plaques. Have not had one person ask to get one yet in the 5 years we have been doing it.
    You can ask the person doing your trophies. Or, the second you put it on a website advertising the show you will
    get a gazillion emails from people w/ all kinds of things and some are offering dash plaques.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Well,

It appears official…the car show is a go. Now I just need to start organizing. All proceeds for entry fees and whatnot benefit the school and the kids!

That being said, I will be in attendance this weekend to do some “research” on the cool cars there! If you are there I would definitely like to further discuss the organizing activity with you, if you can. I wouldn’t mind taking a few minutes to discuss with the organizers of C&C overall if I can. I’ll be asking around while there.

If you want PM me your number and I’ll call you morning of so we can meet face to face!

Thanks,
    Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Dallas’ is closed to new topics and replies.