Parking in the Main Lot

This topic contains 72 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Zanardi1782 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #134526

    benzjed
    Participant

    @neckmeats 75559 wrote:

    Well, I have a beautiful 2001 Pontiac Aztek that I think would look really interesting and awesome next to an F40. Hey, Aztek owners, let’s take up a few rows at CnC and show em why Pontiac reigns supreme!!! Either that, or I can bring my rusted Datsun 620! It gets lots of looks! Or maybe a 1985 Celebrity wagon – I find those to be super interesting. Ah screw it, I’ll bring my 370Z to the next one. I agree, there just aren’t enough Z cars at the show. Ok, Aztek guys, leave it at home. LET’S BRING THE Z’s!!!!

    Actually, I would find an Aztek, especially in Sunburst Yellow, to be infinitely more interesting than any modern Z car, no matter how done up, including the Nismo edition. I have seen an older Z, I think it might have been a 240Z from the 70’s, parked in there with a pristine engine bay, gorgeous car. Definitely belongs in the main lot.

    #134504

    Anakonxx
    Participant

    When walking down the rows of cars all of us have probably asked ourselves why is that car here? I think the answer is the owner is proud of his/her car. If you’re not interested in a particular car just walk on by but there is no need to ridicule others for what they take pride in. Just walk on by because you can be sure you’ll soon find one that does interest you – my god, where can you go and see so many classics parked next to exotics (if that’s your thing).
    On the other side of the argument is the original poster wanting to take up an entire row with modern ‘Z’ cars as a group – I don’t think anyone is saying the modern ‘Z’ is not worthy (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but why would you want to take up an entire row to show the exact same model? Personally I’m not a fan of modern Japanese cars but you can’t deny that a lot of people are fans (especially the young). You would not be showing consideration to those who attend C&C hoping to see a wide variety of cars, not an owner’s group of relatively new Japanese cars.
    I own a few cars and one of them (a Pontiac) is only one of less than 1300 made (and I park in the parking garage), I love the car – good styling, great performance, but I’m sure some of the Japanese car lovers wouldn’t care for it. Different strokes for different folks.

    #134527

    benzjed
    Participant

    @sleepy 75619 wrote:

    When walking down the rows of cars all of us have probably asked ourselves why is that car here? I think the answer is the owner is proud of his/her car. If you’re not interested in a particular car just walk on by but there is no need to ridicule others for what they take pride in. Just walk on by because you can be sure you’ll soon find one that does interest you – my god, where can you go and see so many classics parked next to exotics (if that’s your thing).
    On the other side of the argument is the original poster wanting to take up an entire row with modern ‘Z’ cars as a group – I don’t think anyone is saying the modern ‘Z’ is not worthy (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but why would you want to take up an entire row to show the exact same model? Personally I’m not a fan of modern Japanese cars but you can’t deny that a lot of people are fans (especially the young). You would not be showing consideration to those who attend C&C hoping to see a wide variety of cars, not an owner’s group of relatively new Japanese cars.
    I own a few cars and one of them (a Pontiac) is only one of less than 1300 made (and I park in the parking garage), I love the car – good styling, great performance, but I’m sure some of the Japanese car lovers wouldn’t care for it. Different strokes for different folks.

    Like I said… and the Z car crowd who joined just to put in one post refused to acknowledge, I am not saying the Z is not a nice car or not a good performer. Never said that.

    I just asked what is the purpose of taking up a row to display late model Japanese cars? For that, they jumped all over the place and got more defensive than they need to be.

    #134550

    priotly
    Member

    Hi All,

    As a new member on this forum, but not a newbie to CnC, it seems like given the early arrival, my 2004 numbers matching, perfectly operational and optioned/maintained Maserati Coupe Cambiorcorsa Skyhook with Nero Black on Cuio/Oxblood interior with exterior and interior adornments might be considered for the main lot. I always just parked and walked and as many have said “why is that car here” much like i have, would think that a 117,000 dollar car, despite its age but only 25,000 well maintained miles might warrant it a spot near the rest of the modena play…versus rows of Bavarian monstrosities with more aftermarket add-ons than you can shake a stick it. If i belong in the parking lot…let me know. If i should back the almost showroom new prince into the main lot without speculation, let me know, i would love to share with other enthusiast all that went into one of the last 100 percent hand-made cars in Italy. thanks alll!

    #134535

    serleselby
    Member

    interestingly enough, I go to car shows all the time in between my track days. yet somehow I never managed to make it down to a cars and coffee event. scheduling just never worked out for me.

    as I come on here to check the info, I find this thread. ive changed my mind about going in the morning.

    I don’t want to be a part of, nor support anything that even resembles an elitist, anti-American, discriminatory event of any kind.

    southern California invented the automotive aftermarket after WWII. these were largely aviation mechanics looking to use their skills one things they love. cars. they bled motor oil, and drank gasoline (not litereally). they loved, modified, and accepted cars of all kinds, from any country, with any pricetag. just as our great country welcomes all those regardless of race, color, creed, or religion. I can’t think of anything anti American, than an elitist event that only further points out whats wrong with south orange country. An area, as an OC native, I avoid like the plague.

    I’ll continue to frequent the car shows I’ve been going to, and explore those on the socal car culture website I haven’t been to yet.

    the only difference now though, is i’ll be making a concerted effort to discourage the turners and enthusiast I encounter at the road courses to refrain from supporting this event.

    anything that discriminates and polarizes our community, the community I live in is another shining example of one of the problems with this country. One i’ll be brining up at the open minutes during the end of the next city council meeting.

    as far as im concerned, an event like this needs to go away and i’ll be letting our elected representatives know whats going on in their city, congressional, and senate districts.

    #134510

    benzjed
    Participant

    @cerebrix 76924 wrote:

    interestingly enough, I go to car shows all the time in between my track days. yet somehow I never managed to make it down to a cars and coffee event. scheduling just never worked out for me.

    as I come on here to check the info, I find this thread. ive changed my mind about going in the morning.

    I don’t want to be a part of, nor support anything that even resembles an elitist, anti-American, discriminatory event of any kind.

    southern California invented the automotive aftermarket after WWII. these were largely aviation mechanics looking to use their skills one things they love. cars. they bled motor oil, and drank gasoline (not litereally). they loved, modified, and accepted cars of all kinds, from any country, with any pricetag. just as our great country welcomes all those regardless of race, color, creed, or religion. I can’t think of anything anti American, than an elitist event that only further points out whats wrong with south orange country. An area, as an OC native, I avoid like the plague.

    I’ll continue to frequent the car shows I’ve been going to, and explore those on the socal car culture website I haven’t been to yet.

    the only difference now though, is i’ll be making a concerted effort to discourage the turners and enthusiast I encounter at the road courses to refrain from supporting this event.

    anything that discriminates and polarizes our community, the community I live in is another shining example of one of the problems with this country. One i’ll be brining up at the open minutes during the end of the next city council meeting.

    as far as im concerned, an event like this needs to go away and i’ll be letting our elected representatives know whats going on in their city, congressional, and senate districts.

    Wow, you have totally overblown this way out of any proportion imaginable. Elitist? Un-American? You’re going to city hall to rally against these events? Overreact much? Got something else going on in your life to keep you busy?

    I think if you were going to be intellectually honest about this, then you have to rally against everything that is catered toward a niche or specialty market then.

    You have to rally against senior citizen centers for being discriminatory against young Americans, after all, it’s the youth that continue to build this great nation and why shouldn’t they get all the jello and 4pm turkey dinners for $2?

    How about strip joints? Rally against those too because fat, unattractive girls should be able to work in those joints while keeping all their clothes on too. Why not? Why should only hot ***** women with nice bodies make money there? That’s so un-American to deny people the chance to make money.

    Oh, no Harley Owners Group either. Go down to the Harley dealer and rally against them being against Japanese motorcycles, cruisers or sport bikes. That’s so un-American for an American motorcycle company to only limit themselves to… themselves. HOG’s should allow everyone into the club. Same with the Star Riders for Yamaha cruisers, Goldwing Riders for Hondas, and any other sport bike clubs that are popping up everywhere. Anti-American communist bastages, all of them!

    Did you also write to protest against Monterey and Pebble Beach and the organizers of Hot Import Nights and any other organized car meets where they cater to a specific segment of the car enthusiast market? How about telling Jackson-Barrett and Beachum’s auctions that they have to sell some jalopies too in addition to their exotics because it’s un-American to not allow some schmoe to put his beloved 1997 Nissan Altima with the upgraded radio and 17″ rims on the block for everyone to fight over?

    Let me know when you get on those things while I think of more projects for you.

    #134534

    I’ve been perusing over and participating in forums for years as a small part of my overall activity in the automotive space for over almost two decades now. I’m not sure I have ever seen such an out-of-sorts reaction as this one. Either this poster has not really read and understood the discussion, or is just stirring the pot at the expense of those a little more serious about enjoying seeing great, rare cars.

    Allow me to break it down: It is not “elitist” in any capacity to want to see rare, classic, exotic or specialty cars at an informal show that was created out of a desire to display and see exactly that. The fact that this small gathering has grown into the event it has, with multiple (and appreciated) copycats all over the country, would clearly imply that it is serving needs or desires in a substantial way. It’s popularity has grown to the point where certain, simple guidelines needed to be put in place due to very real (not imagined nor arbitrary) space constraints. From what I’ve seen, the organizers have shown extreme non-bias and impartiality on a personal level to those who wish to attend. Those who bring cars that attendees would find particular interest in seeing are given lot parking preference over those bringing mass-produced cars with typical bolt-on modifications, especially on busier days. True, that, and wisely so.

    This concept doesn’t at all imply that enthusiasts of any particular make or model look down their nose at any other, although individual preferences will surely differ amongst people. While I’m not a fan of certain car models, I can appreciate the work that goes into a full custom job someone has spent years creating and toiling over. I have even seen some that left me questioning my original objections, as they have showed me that car in totally different light. But these are far from milder, more pedestrian examples that are better placed in the parking structure, regardless if they came in a pack of 10 or 20.

    If the idea of Cars and Coffee does not suit you, then you have the right to exercise your opinion and protest by not attending. I really don’t imagine the city council or anyone else, for that matter, will take much notice of your ranting, if you so choose to do so. Do you think they might order a refund of your entrance fee? Or, better still, start your own event (without expecting any sort of compensation) and show us knuckle-draggers all how it should be done properly. Then, you can field the inevitable complaints from those that have yet to try organizing one on their own.

    Lesson: The view is often very different on the playing field than it is from up in the bleachers.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    @cerebrix 76924 wrote:

    interestingly enough, I go to car shows all the time in between my track days. yet somehow I never managed to make it down to a cars and coffee event. scheduling just never worked out for me.

    as I come on here to check the info, I find this thread. ive changed my mind about going in the morning.

    I don’t want to be a part of, nor support anything that even resembles an elitist, anti-American, discriminatory event of any kind.

    southern California invented the automotive aftermarket after WWII. these were largely aviation mechanics looking to use their skills one things they love. cars. they bled motor oil, and drank gasoline (not litereally). they loved, modified, and accepted cars of all kinds, from any country, with any pricetag. just as our great country welcomes all those regardless of race, color, creed, or religion. I can’t think of anything anti American, than an elitist event that only further points out whats wrong with south orange country. An area, as an OC native, I avoid like the plague.

    I’ll continue to frequent the car shows I’ve been going to, and explore those on the socal car culture website I haven’t been to yet.

    the only difference now though, is i’ll be making a concerted effort to discourage the turners and enthusiast I encounter at the road courses to refrain from supporting this event.

    anything that discriminates and polarizes our community, the community I live in is another shining example of one of the problems with this country. One i’ll be brining up at the open minutes during the end of the next city council meeting.

    as far as im concerned, an event like this needs to go away and i’ll be letting our elected representatives know whats going on in their city, congressional, and senate districts.

    #134493

    Anonymous

    The only point I can think to add to the posts by Notorious and Chris_B is that it is ridiculous to form such a strong opinion on an event that you’ve never attended. Even if you read every post on this forum, you’re barely scratching the surface of the number of participants and spectators.

    #134509

    benzjed
    Participant

    To those who think anyone who would want to see a show for exotic and specialty cars as elitists, feel free to start your own “show” where people can bring all the late model mass produced Japanese and American cars to exhibit. Let me know how the attendance is.

    #134508

    Eric T
    Participant

    From my observation, it’s usually first come, first serve. I started noticing two different crowds: exotics and classics early morning then modern and tuners in the later morning. Tons of different people looking for different cars, “to each his own”. If you cannot make the time then no parking in the main lot. If it really matters to park in the main lot, getting there earlier gives you a better chance.

    My ’96 SVT Cobra (sorry, Mustang haters) and ’06 Z06 (sorry, Corvette haters) each have an equal opportunity to park in main lot when I go early.

    #134551

    SkubaSteve
    Member

    i agree with notorious i see cars with rusted and sractched bumpers taking space while f430’s and sls’ are turned away

    #134528

    benzjed
    Participant

    @Ed.Stokes 77577 wrote:

    i agree with notorious i see cars with rusted and sractched bumpers taking space while f430’s and sls’ are turned away

    Be careful, Cerebrix might come to your local city council meeting and protest against your elitist and snobbish ways.:nuts:

    #134505

    Anakonxx
    Participant

    @Ed.Stokes 77577 wrote:

    i agree with notorious i see cars with rusted and sractched bumpers taking space while f430’s and sls’ are turned away

    – Cars and Coffee is a great event because you can see interesting cars. That includes some with ‘rusted and scratched bumpers’. Every Saturday you have the opportunity to see cars you probably think have ‘rusted and scratched bumpers’ you would not be able to see elsewhere. Your f430 is a beautiful car but so is an American car from before the mid- seventies – whether fully restored or a work in-progress. Personally I would rather take the time to view cars that an owner has restored (or is restoring) – to me that shows more of a love for automobiles than a guy that goes down to his Ferrari dealership and opens his checkbook.

    #134529

    benzjed
    Participant

    @sleepy 77709 wrote:

    – Cars and Coffee is a great event because you can see interesting cars. That includes some with ‘rusted and scratched bumpers’. Every Saturday you have the opportunity to see cars you probably think have ‘rusted and scratched bumpers’ you would not be able to see elsewhere. Your f430 is a beautiful car but so is an American car from before the mid- seventies – whether fully restored or a work in-progress. Personally I would rather take the time to view cars that an owner has restored (or is restoring) – to me that shows more of a love for automobiles than a guy that goes down to his Ferrari dealership and opens his checkbook.

    I don’t think he meant those.

    I love classics and muscle cars, fully restored or not, as long as it is not a rusting bucket of bolts that barely runs and is held together by duct tape.

    I love those cars more than the super cars and modern exotics. Those cars bore me. I like history. I like how cars used to be built. I like the older aesthetics, or lack thereof. It was a different time with different expectations for cars.

    #134554

    Raguesque
    Member

    @z_girl 75226 wrote:

    I’m part of a 370z group that goes out to C&C and other events together all the time. We were there at C&C Irvine on the 2-9 with over 10 Z’s and had great time

    Can someone please advise if the rules for parking have changed??
    Thanks,
    Z_Girl

    Hi, Z-girl and C&C Irvine enthusiasts– YES, rules have now at last been updated and changed to keep the experience at topmost levels.
    Of course, it may take some adjustment. Some cars will always avoid easy categorization. However, as we learned long ago at C&C
    Crystal Cove, some regulation other than first-arrival is desirable. John and the other volunteers and the hosts are responding to many
    requests by long-term fans (and others) to prioritize the main lot for the most interesting of cars. NOT true that cost is any factor, but IS
    true that some preferences were listed today on hand-out. Amongst those:
    –NO commercial /sale displays, NO dealer displays, NO solicitations [APPLAUSE]
    –Preferences are stated for the main lot, highest and lowest. The former preferences will be for
    Cars 1999 and older (oldest in preference to most recent)
    Sports Cars, Classics, Exotics, Hot Rods
    Nostalgic/humorous/unusual
    Cars not regularly seen on the roads
    Lowest preferences down the line:
    Four-door cars of 21st century (2000 or newer) are less preferred
    Electric/Hybrid cars of any make
    Trucks, Vans, Wagons, SUVs

    All that said–enthusiasts always welcome here!! Bring the most interesting car you have/know to get in main lot, but a short walk
    from the parking structure won’t hurt anyone if bringing something else. Our HOSTS are most considerate, and we should always
    be grateful guests. See you there!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)

The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Irvine’ is closed to new topics and replies.