How do you to get to cars and coffee using only public transportation?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am looking at being the LA area sometime in July and I would absolutely love to see some of the cars there! However, I will not be renting a car as I would only stay a couple of days and renting cars is pricey (plus i don’t think I could adjust that quickly to some of the worst traffic in the world). From say, LAX (or actually any of the LA area airports) is it possible to get there using public transportation?

Couple other quick questions:
    Will there be a “Cars and Coffee” over the 4th of July weekend (when I’m potentially looking at coming)?
    and
    How often do they have supercars there and is there much variety? The cars I mainly want to see are the Porsche Carrera GT, Ford GT, Ferrari 458 or the 599 and any Lambo.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s not easy going anywhere in Southern California via public transportation. Irvine has a train station, so you may be able to piece something together knowing that, but the train isn’t cheap either. Forget the bus; you’ll be changing about 100 times….

C&C happens every Saturday. People showed-up on Christmas Day and New Years Day, but the crowds/cars were fewer. July 2nd will be as busy as any other Summer Saturday – if not busier. Only conflicting show dates attract some people/cars away.

I took just a few photos yesterday…….. http://forum.carsandcoffee.info/showthread.php?34551-CARS-amp-COFFEE-IRVINE-6-4-11-A-few-highlights….
    This is just a tiny selection of those which turned-up. The parking lot is almost always packed full of all of the cars you are interested in, plus others besides. There’s no better C&C than the one at Irvine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@spl08 53880 wrote:

is it possible to get there using public transportation?

I also found this which might be helpful to you. It has the train option, as well as others………..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32530-i1142-k838051-How_to_get_from_lax_to_irvine_with_public_transport-Irvine_California.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

renting a car is your best bet, even if you are on a budget. taking public transportation from the LAX area would be a very big hassle. as far as variety goes, Irvine has always the best turnouts as far as C&C’s goes. just look at some of the galleries.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Traffic that early on a Saturday morning is generally a non-issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It looks like a rental car would run you around $50 for a day in the LAX area.

Google Maps will give you directions using public transportation options, but it gives you a route that takes about 4 hours on a Saturday morning. It’s still going to cost you $15-$20 minimum, so a rental car quickly starts to look attractive.

You should post up a new thread asking for a ride once you know when you’ll be in town. Maybe you’ll get lucky and find someone willing to give you a lift.

Another option would be to use public transit on say Friday to come down to the area and stay a hotel nearby. There’s a few options that are within walking distance for under $100.

You can try airbnb.com and couchsurfing.org to find inexpensive accommodations.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I might just try those. It is actually now about a 50/50 chance I’ll go (i won’t bother you all with the details of why) but taking a hotel in Irvine sounds a lot better than a hotel in LA! I was planning on going up that Friday anyway so we’ll see what happens. Maybe it’s on here some place already, but what time does the event start at?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I usually arrive between 7 and 8 and find the parking lot pretty full. I believe people start arriving around 6. By 8:30-9, a lot of cars start leaving.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Irvine’ is closed to new topics and replies.