Cars & Coffee: May 7th – Why?

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

we will conduct some meetings this month to discuss these topics. i have posted before that the show is 100% organic.. it has grown by very natural means and continues to be popular without any bureaucratic control. i have hoped that those that appreciate their cars attend the show and that means any car. if you take the time and effort to prepare your car for display then you should be allowed to show your car. Now here’s the big point—-if you see that your car is out of place or you feel that you are taking up a space that could be filled by a car that would be more appreciated than yours—then park in the spectator area. That has been my message. As I type this it appears that there needs to be some thought as to how to place some controls upon the type of car allowed to be displayed. We will discuss…

I appreciate those that have made their opinions known. I do want the show to be a great success. It is done with volunteers and Classic BMW employees that love cars. All of the donations—100% go to charity and we are targeting more than $30,000 in donations again this year. Thanks for your continued support.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, as you may have seen in my previous posts, I am a believer that cars and coffee dallas is a great show…and it has grown organically into being such. I have always said that I believe that it is a show for everyone, but now it appears because of the increased size of the monthly participants that there needs to be conditions placed on who can display their car on the main lot……

I am “think”ing of a mild remedy. I will place a small red card with the word “think” on the front of it on every car windshield that appears to belong in the spectator lot and not the main show lot. On the other side of the card the message will read something like, “this is a car show, is your’s a show car?” I don’t want to offend, I just want people to understand that others may have been unable to attend because they have acquired a parking space.

What do you think?

Eric Maas
    President, Classic BMW

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that is a very vague way to tell people their car shouldn’t be there. Unless you are aware of this supposed problem and have read this thread, a lot of people wont know what you are talking about. Not at least for a few months after these cards have had their chance to make the rounds and the word to get out.

If you want to try something non-confrontational like that but still need to get your point across, go a little further with a full explanation. Don’t tiptoe around it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a great idea Eric. Though, I think you should give them to people at the entrance instead of walking around placing them on windshields of already parked cars.

Tim

I do not think this is a good idea. I wonder how many BMW’s will be asked to turn around and leave? You can’t tell one car to leave because it does not fit. Now if you are referring to a bunch of the same cars showing up and they will need to leave…well, then you get my vote.

clarkw123
    Participant

So now Eric will be the judge and jury on what he considers to be a show car?
    All BMW’s will qualify.
    If you are not going to find a bigger location then you just need to call it the Foreign Cars & Coffee car show and ban all American made cars.
    Grow a Pair.

Anonymous
    Inactive

this show is cool because it has no judging, no snooty attitudes and it has awesome cars…yes, i want the show to be the best and the way to do that may be to make a smooth transition. Our volunteers have told people that they could not park in the show lot—most people understand, but some folks have been difficult. It’s not an easy task.

in our meeting last week we discussed paying to display…it would be a good way to generate money for charity (700 display cars at $15 each equals $10,500) and it may filter some of the cars that don’t fit in out of the show. this may be a future option, we’ll have to see.

as for what we have done, we do not charge for parking and we do not charge for coffee….we ask that you donate to the charity of the show, and we do it in a courteous manner. each show is preceded by a huge effort where Classic moves our entire new car inventory outside of the lot in order to free up as many spaces as possible for the show cars. usually this is a 4 hour process that involves several employees and nearly 200 new BMW’s. i hope that you will continue to come to the show and enjoy the great cars that are on display. ALL of the money donated goes to charity. ALL of it.

Charging may totally change the show in a negative way as well….

So, for now….we will be vocal as people come into the show about whether their car is a “show car” because this is a car show.

we will see. our motivation is to make the show something that is special and to raise money for charity….regarding BMW, i am interested in the exposure to my location and i do hope that this show makes some friends and in turn they do business with Classic…but this show is not a BMW show—never has been and never will be.

maybe we will do an “all BMW” show someday…..maybe on the last Saturday of the month…

until then, see you all on Saturday September 3rd!

Eric Maas

Tim

Good points Eric. Since you will be communicating with your staff as to what cars are concidered show car worthy. Feel free to share with us here on the board too. That way some of us will not have to waste gas and/or get up early to make the trek to the show. Cheers!

trox825

Eric,

Since I’ve attended, I noticed that you and your team of volunteers have done a stellar job of making sure the event is organized, controlled and safe. This is by far the most exciting event for me, family and friends to attend monthly. Most of all, the fact that local charities are supported through such leisure makes it a rewarding experience for all involved.

As far as “think” cards are concerned, this could be good and bad. The last thing you want to do is turn anyone away or hurt someone’s feelings because they fill that there car fulfills the requirements of what is being shown even though it may not. At the same time, it will weed out the vehicles that some may feel don’t belong there.

This is not a simple fix but one solution to all of this is to do what was done in the first 4-6 months of hosting C&C. That was having rows of parking spaces which were mapped off by the Flags of the Vehicles Country of Origin in which most attendees complied. I understand that volunteers are needed to be there extra early to enforce such tyranny but it seems to be somewhat necessary as the growth of C&C has far exceeded most people’s expectations. It seems that this would make it fair for all attendees or spectators and perhaps prevent vehicles that aren’t show worthy from displaying due to lack of space available within there designated parking area.

If you are needing additional assistance in getting anything in the future organized let me know and I would be willing to lend a hand as a volunteer. Whatever you decide, I’m sure the ones that care about the future of the show will adjust just fine. Thanks for your efforts in making this event one of the most enjoyable monthly occasions.

Thanks,
    Jarred

tiga2

Eric, I assume you are the event organizer and I think it is an amazing show you have put together and quite possibly one of if not the best in the DFW area! Your idea of the cards is good, however, I too, think it would be more beneficial to hand out the cards at the entrance or to have a full explanation on the backside if you didn’t want to deal with the few ppl who will be offended. I have been to several of the events this year and last; in the beginning the flags were useful but they seem to be ignored now-a-days…If the flag system was enforced more it may alleviate the need for the cards. You could inform ppl where their “country” is and that they need to park somewhere in that area where a certain amount of spaces have been alotted. It is your show and your establishment so, IMO, if you allowed all BMW’s then guess what…its your decision! I do not own a BMW or even a German made car, but if thats what you choose to do then those who are complaining that you may allow all BMW’s, too bad! You have given ppl this location and set up the event so its fair to say that you should determine whether or not you want to support the facility that is making all this happen, I think it would be a good business decision in the way of publicity, anyways! It is very generous of you to not do that, though.

Tim

Hi Eric,

Here is the only way I see it working. You need to let people in the “Main staging area” on a first come, first served basis. Once it fills up (Based on a car count.) others must leave and/or park in the spectator section. That includes any Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche. It’s the only true way to keep it a car enthusiast event. Just my thoughts.

I wanted to add my .2. First off, this is an awesome event! I tell every automotive enthusiast I talk to that this is a must attend (at least once anyway) event. There is nothing else like it.

I have a 2002 Camaro SS that I show. It is no where near a $100K+ car or a best of show trophy winner. It does have some cosmetic customizations as well as performance upgrades, I have it clean and polished when attending, and I am proud of it. I do get people asking about it and liking it. Should I park somewhere else for some of the reasons given? I would probably stop attending if the answer is yes.

I do like seeing the exotics and highly modified cars but I also like seeing the unusual. Examples are the 60’s 8 door limo, that 70s van with the shag interior (too funny), the Yugo (the owners name is Mike and he’s a trip to talk to), etc. I also loved the 599 roadster that attended last month. I do understand asking a stock Civic or Accord to park outside of the main area. IMO, this event would lose some allure if too many restrictions were put into place.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just read every post in this topic…

First of all, I think the way Classic has handled C&C from the start has been great. No need to change a winning formula by adding complexity. I actually thought they did away with the “sections” for the most part, but I guess the American sections and such still exist…?

Anyway, I think it’s silly to think about limiting who may or may not participate. This isn’t Concours d’Elegance, Italian CarFest, or All Chevy Nationals. It’s not even Exotic Cars & Caviar. Whether somebody with an expensive car shows up at 9am doesn’t get in makes no difference to me personally. You snooze, you lose–no matter who you are or what you’re driving. If you’re a big shot who can’t get in on time, hire someone to park a car in your spot so you can wake up at your leisure.

The criteria for “show worthy” is too hard to determine. I usually take my Pontiac Grand Prix GXP to the show. Is it show worthy? Debatable. It was low production, has a 325 cubic inch V8, is only driven twice a week, and is the only 2004-2008 Grand Prix I’ve ever seen at the show. Rare at the show? You bet. Low production? Yep. Great condition? Yup. Worth seeing 10 or 20 nearly identical cars at the show just like it? Like ALL cars regardless of price or production, no, not really. I love the car, it’s gorgeous, but I wouldn’t like to see 20 of them taking up spots, just as I wouldn’t really like seeing 20 same-model-style Gallardos, 20 same-model-style Chargers, etc. Whether somebody dislikes my GXP just because it has 4 doors or lacks an extra digit on the price tag doesn’t matter to me. I garage it, maintain it, clean the car, show up early, and I get a spot. I stay the entire show and enjoy myself. I don’t invite 50 other GP GXP owners to join me, so I am respectful of Classic’s show and don’t make it the “Grand Prix Gathering”. A few late model clubs have done this sort of thing, which, while I don’t really like it, it doesn’t really bother me. They woke up early, they got to park. Simple as that. If Classic wants to tell clubs they cannot save spaces, I wouldn’t mind that a bit. We should all be courteous to each other, but if you want to show up before 7 and save a spot for your buddy before the lot starts filling up…? Go ahead. If the lot is filling up, too bad for your buddy.

So what makes a car show worthy?

Rarity? Is a 90s Lexus SC400 not show worthy if it’s the only one at the show? What if there are six or seven Ferrari F430s? Thirty or Forty nearly identical looking Porsches from the last 10 years? Which of the twenty 2010-2011 Camaros aren’t show worthy? Which 2005+ Mustangs aren’t?

Condition? Obviously the cars should be clean, but what about paint? Is an original weathered paint ’80s Firebird somebody has spent 20 years storing and maintaining less welcome than a late model car somebody simply bought off the lot 5 months ago?

Body style? Should a car be discriminated against because of it being a truck? A van? An SUV or sedan? One of the highlights of one of last year’s shows was seeing that old ’70s domestic van in that funky brown and yellow color with velour interior. I’d hate to see C&C reduced to 2-seater coupes and convertibles. Just because I have no interest in trucks doesn’t mean that trucks shouldn’t be allowed. Hundreds of others are interested and enjoy looking.

How about price? Is a Yugo less interesting than a 2008 BMW M3? How about a SL500 compared to a ’02 Miata? ’90s Dodge Daytona vs. Audi S4?

I’m sure most of us can agree that commuter cars are not particularly interesting to look at, nor are soccer mom cars. But what if the owner has some sort of particular pride in their car due to some sort of modification, rare optioning, etc.? Heck, what if they are just proud of it just because they are proud of it? I may have absolutely no interest whatsoever in someone’s Mercedes CL whatever, but that just means I keep walking, I don’t tell them “your car doesn’t belong here, get to the back of the lot.”

Discrimination isn’t easy.

@ericmaas 56368 wrote:

those that appreciate their cars attend the show and that means any car. if you take the time and effort to prepare your car for display then you should be allowed to show your car. Now here’s the big point—-if you see that your car is out of place or you feel that you are taking up a space that could be filled by a car that would be more appreciated than yours—then park in the spectator area. That has been my message.

Well said. thumbup Addendum: Get there early/on time if you want a spot. Can’t get a spot? Eat brunch and come back at 9 or 10 when the lot thins out.

@ericmaas 56725 wrote:

I will place a small red card with the word “think” on the front of it on every car windshield that appears to belong in the spectator lot and not the main show lot. On the other side of the card the message will read something like, “this is a car show, is your’s a show car?” I don’t want to offend, I just want people to understand that others may have been unable to attend because they have acquired a parking space.

Bad idea. thumbsdown It’d be a bad public relations move and sully Classic’s reputation. People would get their feelings hurt and people are much more likely to share a negative opinion than a positive one. Also, just wait til some teenagers print up their own bootlegs cards and start putting them on every car there… that’ll be a fun apology on about a dozen message boards. Better to let people self-govern by printing up several signs and placing them at the end of each row or just at the entrances. Something along the lines of “Show cars only please, spectators please follow the arrows to the spectator parking lot(s).”

^ Good post, Brandon!

I attended this morning and it was great. I talked to several Camaro buddies, a friend that has a GTO and a Mustang, a guy with a very clean 90s Chevy truck, etc. My car got some attention too.

Notable vehicles to see were the Lamborghini Aventador, the 2 Rhino lined jeeps, a red 1st gen Camaro Pro-Street/Custom/hot rod, Lotus Evora (1st one for me), a 30s boattail speedster something or other, early 60s Mustang in a beautiful blue color, blue flamed lowrider GTO (wanted to not like it but did anyway), etc.

There were some cars/trucks that maybe should have parked somewhere else but they were the minority, maybe 5 of them.

Isn’t all this what Cars And Coffee is about? I think I put $6 in the donation jars and
    was happy to do it.

This is the greatest event for the automotive enthusiast in DFW, please don’t mess it up.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • The forum ‘Cars and Coffee Dallas’ is closed to new topics and replies.